Saturday, May 28

Insert: Art vs. Interpretation 2


No, no, it's a Total Redemption today too, so get your Calculator of Crazy or your Abacus of Absurdity ready...

Back in March, Rats sent in an interpretation.  It was not from an inkblot.  I had taken a picture of some popcorn ceiling as I was having a bad day and could not stop seeing things.  Most people could not make out anything in the picture (after all, it was just popcorn ceiling) but Rats gave it a whirl and sent this in:


To be fair, this was also a good springboard for me to talk about Art vs. Interpretation.  We've seen quite a few artists do some amazing things on inkblots.  Unfortunatley, not all of us can do that, just like Rats here.  But I don't care about that!  I just want you to best illustrate what it is you see.

So Rats sent this image of a rabbit from Chernobyl and I threw him under the bus with a surprise Redemption, which was still in it's infancy (and not the refined horror of textfuckery and nubile numbers given out like kitchen scraps to the mangy dog as it is today.)

So why not throw him under the bus again?  I mean, he just agreed to be in Open To Interpretation 2, already sent his stuff in (UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE) and is going to help us try and raise a little money for charity, so why not quickly recheck his sanity?

One thing I have to clear up first:










So he actually got a pretty mellow score (3.2) for that one image.  Let's throw another one in.  Quick refresher with the original blot here:

What an ugly blot.

And now Rat's interpretation again, so as to not have to scroll up:

Ok this took me fucking ages lol. It's a fly type man wearing a
Zorro style mask and a suit and he's under 2
giant apples and he's been given tea by 2 giant beetles.

Active imagination?  Too much David Lynch movies?  Why not rate him on the Scale?  Don't forget to thank him for sending in his interpretations.  (No one ever does.  *Sniff*)

16 comments:

  1. You know, a few people have done interpretations for that blot. ALL OF THEM have been disturbing. Yours is no different. Maybe it is mundane in your world, but here on Earth, it's just wrong.

    Combined with your mutant rabbit...I give a 3.4

    P.S. - Thanks for sending stuff in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, this one is what i call the alien autopsy blot.

    But I like Rat's interpretation too, I never would have seen the tea cups. I give it a 3.3

    Chernobyl Rabbit gets a 4, I don't know how you saw that pattern, all I see are random dots in that image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give a 2 since I also see things in popcorn ceilings, and because there's nothing overly strange about his interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give him a 2.7. It's as if drugs have permanently altered his visual perception. See those "apples". PFFFF.

    Thanks for your uploads Rats :D because I'm sure you'll read this :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. that could be a movie poster to the next fly sequel. :)

    a 4 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blog and post! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate having popcorn ceiling, when i lay down and stare long enough i start to see things :(
    AND OH GOD I GOT THE PACKAGE TODAY BECAUSE I JUST GOT HOME BUT I'M RESISTING THE URGE TO OPEN IT UNTIL TOMORROW SO I CAN TAKE PICTURES OF IT HAPPENING BUT I DON'T KNOW I MIGHT WAKE UP AT 3AM AND COMPULSIVELY OPEN IT AND IF I DO I'M SORRY I'LL MAKE A POST ABOUT IT
    and that is how you do a run-on sentence

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm happy for you, but could you please rate a complete stranger on a Sanity scale that was arbitrarily made up? If you don't, I'll give you lead poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that he knows you're going to poison him it's not gonna work.. I've got you covered though, I'll go hide some sodium in his sink while he's worrying about the lead poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh god sorry, i completely forgot

    I don't think the popcorn ceiling interpretation is exactly.. odd, just because there are so many things you can see

    the inkblot on the otherhand.. I feel like you'd have to be on acid to see that, so that knocks his score up to a 4.2. I have a feeling it would be higher if i were to see more of his interpretations, but at the same time i'm not sure if i want to see them
    i'm scared ;_;

    and, thank you rat :D i'd hug you if i could but i can't so i won't

    ReplyDelete
  11. its looks pretty cool, buts its till not a robot!

    following and supporting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love how you even got the belt detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I'd say he's a 3. Nothing too nutty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally: π+½. That's my rating for this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2.8. I used to play connect the dots on the popcorn ceiling, but ours was the spray on shit... with shiny flecks like raver scabies that could be miss took for eyes looking back at a poor 10 year old lad...

    ReplyDelete

What do you see?